5 Free Ways to Develop Your IT Skills
Information Technology is always evolving. As soon as you think you know the next big thing, a new big thing comes along that challenges the status quo. To stay competitive in the IT market, it is imperative that you focus on the continued development of your technology skills. But how can you do that without spending a fortune on further education or certifications? It may be easier than you think. Here are some easy ways to keep developing your IT skills.
- Read books. Of course, buying books isn’t free but you can always take trips to your local library to check out the latest books on technology. Or, borrow them from your tech-inclined friends. Reading is fundamental and the more you read, the more you will gain.
- Network with IT professionals. Spending time with other IT professionals is also an important step to continuously developing your IT skills. You can understand other perspectives, ask questions about new tech, and gain insight on what is really important.
- Take free classes online. While you can spend thousands of dollars on additional college classes, you can also learn a lot for absolutely no money. There are a variety of online schools offering free classes. Even MIT offers some of their courses for free.
- Teach your skills. Did you know that teaching others is one of the best ways to learn and retain new information? It’s true. So take some time to teach young family members or volunteer in your community to educate others on technology.
- Start a blog. Similarly, establishing your own blog where you can share your current skills is another great way to increase your knowledge base. You can set yourself up as an industry expert and it is a great motivator to help you continue to research and learn.