5 Steps to a Successful Accounting Career
If you’ve determined that a career path in accounting is right for you, where exactly do you start? Whether you’re just heading off to college or you’ve decided to transition your career, these steps can help you kick start your accounting career on the right foot. Let’s take a closer look at the steps that can make the path a little easier for you.
- Get your bachelor’s degree. For almost everyone, a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business will be essential for landing your first accounting job. If you are transitioning from another field, you may have equivalent experience but you’ll need to prove it to a potential employer.
- Get experience. Either way, you need to have some level of experience before applying for professional accounting jobs. If you’re in school, start by accepting internships. For someone transitioning, offer to apprentice with someone who is already in the field to learn more. Choose a mentor to help you learn the ropes.
- Determine your specialization. Regardless of whether you’re a complete beginner or you have some business experience under your belt, it is important to determine which aspects of accounting appeal to you the most. Look into the different specializations before deciding on a path.
- Take the proper exams. Depending on what you want to do in accounting, there may be specific exams, such as the CPA, that you need to take. Plan for these and be sure to study. They’re not always a slam dunk, even if you usually test well.
- Learn how to adjust as necessary. Of course, there are no set in stone steps that work perfectly for everyone, every time. It is important that you understand the ways in which you’ll have to be flexible while you’re working toward your future. This is also a good life skill to have for any change you encounter over time.
Do you have more questions about getting started in an accounting or finance career? Ask one of VincentBenjamin’s expert finance & accounting recruiters in either Denver, Los Angeles, Orange County or Phoenix.