No Degree? No Problem: 5 Ways to Get IT Experience
Not all career paths are the same. While many young professionals follow the same general avenues to go to college, get a degree, and join the workforce there are dozens of reasons why this may not be the case for everyone. The technology industry changes so quickly that there are multiple ways that a competent professional can find a job in the field without the degree to back them up. Here are some of the best ways to get experience in IT and land a job.
- Practice at home. Unlike becoming a lawyer or a doctor, information technology is something you can learn on your own time and practice does make perfect. Use free tools such as Codecademy to learn about programming languages. Learn everything you can about the way the internet works. Take apart old computers and put them back together again to learn how these pieces fit together.
- Volunteer for tech projects. Are you working in a job that isn’t tech-focused? Chances are your company may not have a dedicated department for digital technology or mobile optimization. Volunteer to take on these roles within your organization to give you real on the job experience without having a tech degree or tech job. This will not only help you learn how to handle these things on a professional basis but give you resume fodder for the future.
- Start a blog. Employers today are looking to hire people who are subject matter experts. You don’t have to have a college degree to prove that you’re an expert. Start a blog or a podcast about the field of technology you are most interested in. Share everything you learn online and build a brand that will set you apart as a professional.
- Go for certifications. You don’t need a degree to go for some of the most popular tech certifications, either. The most popular certifications are the CCNP, CCNA, A+, PMP, and MCSE. Chances are there are several tech schools in your area that provide training for these certifications and offer opportunities to sit for the test. Having these certifications on your resume will also boost your marketability.
- Talk to start ups. Lastly, one of the best ways to get real on-the-job experience with technology is to work with startups. Many people are concerned about getting a job with a startup company because they don’t necessarily offer security. However, if you’re looking to get your foot in the door with real experience these jobs may be the best way to do it. They are looking for candidates who are innovators and if you can bring something extra to the table you will be in a good position to help the company achieve success.
Are you interested in transitioning your career to IT? VincentBenjamin can help you find the right position today! Connect with one of our IT recruiters located in Denver, LA, Orange County and Phoenix.