The First 5 Steps toward a Career in Technology
Ever since the tech boom began in the early 1990s, the sector has continued to grow steadily over time. While there may have been some bubbles and bumps along the way, no one can argue that technology is a just passing fad. In fact, today it affects all levels of business. Because you have the ability to touch so much aspects of industry, technology is a great background to have for any job. So how do you get into tech as a beginner? Here are some tips to get you started.
- Find a mentor. You don’t have to enter the industry blind. There are plenty of professionals in your area that would be happy to help you by sharing their experience. You can talk to them about their journey, learn from their mistakes, and benefit from their connections.
- Join an organization. Next, you want to get out and meet other in your community. Join an organization for tech professionals that meets regularly in your area. This can be a great way to learn more about the job market and what you’ll need to succeed.
- Learn coding for free. Many people believe that coding is the most important skill that someone can have today. To that end, several online coding programs have been established. You can take these courses for free with a website like Codecademy.
- Contribute to open source. Once you’ve begun to hone your skills, put them to the test by contributing to an open source project. These projects are available for anyone to contribute to and it is a great resume builder and way to utilize your new skills.
- Start a website. Finally, start a website that can act as a portfolio for your tech skills. Write a blog that positions you as an industry leader or just to showcase how you’re learning your skills along the way. Many employers look at websites before making a hiring decision.