Time to Quit? 5 Critical Questions To Ask Before Leaving Your Job
When you begin questioning whether or not your current job is right for you it can be easy to fall down a rabbit hole of “what-ifs?” The decision to stay or leave is a personal one and shouldn’t be approached lightly. Before you decide to quit, or not, it is important to determine all the reasons why and look at what can be fixed and what can’t. Here are some things to think about to get you started.
- Do you know what you really want? Leaving a job won’t solve the problem if the problem isn’t the job at all. Before you make any major decisions about your career stop for some self-reflection and evaluation. Do you still see yourself doing this kind of job in five or ten years? Have you strayed from your original goals or mission from when you started?
- Are you going from one bad situation to another? They say that most people don’t quit jobs, they quit managers. But leaving one negative situation hastily can lead to repeating history. What is different about a new environment?
- Is money a main motivator? Are you leaving this job to get more money at another job? How much more? Is it still in line with your future goals? When you make money the primary motivating factor for change you may find that your career moves aren’t very satisfying. Make sure that money is only one of the factors you consider.
- Can I make major changes where I am? You can’t always change how others act but you can change how you react to them. Change the things you can control and see if your work experience improves. Talk to your boss if you’re feeling less than enthusiastic about the work you’re currently doing and see if there is another place for you within the company where you can feel more challenged.
- Have you lost the passion for what you do? Career burnout is both common and a major problem plaguing worker productivity. If you’re burned out at your job it is time to think about whether or not it is the job itself or your overall career path and make the right changes to recharge yourself.
Are you ready to find a new opportunity to change your professional circumstances? Contact the expert staff at VincentBenjamin to see how we can help today!