Top 5 Interview Questions for Your IT Job
While you’ll almost always be asked the interview questions such as, “tell me about yourself,” and “why did you leave your last job?” an IT professional should also expect industry related questions. Of course, it is important to recognize that some questions will be job specific. If you’re interviewing for internet security you aren’t likely to be asked about programming or help desk. You should always be prepared for and comfortable with your own technical expertise. However, there are other questions you should keep in mind before the interview so you can make the best first impression.
- Technology is changing every day so tell me about a time you were asked to do something you didn’t know much about. They want to know how well you adapt to new situations and technologies. They may also want to know how interested you are in advancing your careers or learning new things.
- Where do you see yourself in five or ten years? Companies often have a plan for long term succession within their company. They want to know if you are willing to take on a leadership role or if you are interested in continuing with their company long term. Be sure to tailor this answer to their business, not just to your career.
- What do you think are the biggest trends in IT right now and how does your role fit within them? They want to know that you are up to date on tech news and how it applies to your field of expertise. Good employees are people continuously wiling to learn new things.
- So you like to figure out new problems or implement answers? Are you a thinker or a doer? Many of the most successful IT managers will match up individuals within their team who complement each other’s work styles. They need people who like to get their hands dirty as much as they need innovators. Which are you?
- Why do you want to work in IT? Finally, you need to demonstrate that you are in information technology because you really care about the industry, not just gainful employment. A real passion for IT is essential to advance your career and companies want to see that.
Are you looking for an IT opportunity? VincentBenjamin specializes in IT placements so call us today!