Your IT Career: A Beginner’s Guide to Success
Are you just getting started on your first job search in information technology? You may have recently graduated school or you may have worked in another industry and are looking for a change. There are many reasons someone might be looking for work in IT. It is important to know how to get ahead and how to differentiate yourself from your competition. Here are 7 tips to get you started.
- Go to industry meetings. Trade organizations exist for every possible industry. Search LinkedIn or your local community publications to see what IT organizations meet regularly in your area.
- Research possible roles in tech. Before you decide your one true path, do some research on all of the possible roles in IT. You may find something specific that draws you in and you can begin to focus your experience.
- Don’t stop learning. After you graduate from school don’t stop learning. Keep taking classes to stay up to date in the newest technology. Learn HTML even if you don’t plan to be a web designer. The broader your experiences the more valuable you’ll be to an employer even if you choose to specialize.
- Open source programming. Multiple open source programming opportunities exist on the web. You can join a project and put your skills to the test. This is a great way to build experience for your resume.
- Volunteer. Another great resume builder is volunteering. If you’re a recent college graduate or if your professional experience hasn’t included much IT work, volunteering will provide accomplishments that you can include on your resume.
- Create a portfolio website. If you want to break into the tech scene there is no better way to do it than to embrace tech for your job search. In conjunction with your paper resume create an online web portfolio.
- Find a mentor. Finally, one of the best things you can do to increase your visibility as a candidate is to build a relationship with a mentor. This is someone who has already been part of the IT industry who can help make connections, answer your questions, and share their knowledge.
Are you looking for your first Information Technology opportunity? Contact VincentBenjamin to see if we have any positions available that might fit your needs. We have IT recruiters located in Phoenix, Orange County, Los Angeles and Denver.