6 Insider Tips to Take Your IT Career to the Next Level
Are you worried that your IT career is at a standstill? Perhaps you need to shake things up a bit. IT experts offer lots of advice for individuals starting their career or those who are ready to take it to the next level. What can you do to get out of a rut and pursue the IT career of your dreams? Here is some top notch advice from other successful industry professionals.
- Prove yourself for a promotion. Never assume someone is going to hand you the next level of your career. You need to demonstrate what makes you great every day. Ask your boss for new projects or simply take initiative. Take charge of your career and don’t wait for others to give you an opportunity.
- Learn new things. Never, ever stop learning. Continuing education is the hallmark of a successful person, and it may be even more imperative for someone in the information technology industry. Things change at a rapid pace, so you need to be ahead of the curve to have access to the jobs and projects you really want.
- Create a portfolio and resume to match. Don’t forget what you look like on paper is generally a new employer’s first impression of you as a candidate. The first thing to do is create a portfolio. An IT professional should have a website that showcases their skills and projects. And don’t forget to create a killer resume.
- Mind your manners. Most IT professionals are familiar with Wil Wheaton, the much hated Wesley Crusher on Star Trek: The Next Generation who has turned into quite the geek icon as an adult. Wheaton has one rule, which we will edit for sensibilities. Simply put; don’t be a jerk. Attitude is important and a negative or arrogant one won’t serve your career.
- Have a vision and review it regularly. Without a plan you may find yourself floating down the mainstream. You need to know what you want out of your IT career and doggedly pursue that thing. Become an expert and get the job you want that will take you the direction you want to go.
- Take risks. Lastly, don’t be afraid to take risks. All of the greatest minds of the information age weren’t overly guarded in their careers, so don’t be afraid to push the envelope. They didn’t wait for success to happen to them. You don’t have to completely throw caution to the wind, but take educated risks that give you new opportunities.
Do you think you’re the next big thing in IT? VincentBenjamin is currently hiring for IT positions in California, Colorado, and Arizona.